In early 1952 a handful of Italian migrants who had come to make a new life in Wollongong
decided to form a social club: a place where members could relax, enjoy each
other's company and benefit from their pooled resources.
The club was officially
opened on the 29th August, 1953 with a gala ceremony, under the name
of The South Coast Social & Fraternity Club.
of the club was the forerunner of many days and nights where the members could
indulge their passion for good food, dancing, and conversation with family and friends.
The club was also a central meeting place where opportunities for work were
discussed and assistance for new arrivals was provided.
year of operation resulted in a profit of 2500 pounds, which was an outstanding
result and the tradition of “Fraternity” within the club was born.
years, new additions, extensions and acquisitions have allowed The Fraternity
Club to grow and thrive. Today The
Fraternity Club has established itself as one of the premier clubs in the